Thursday, July 2, 2015

Finding a Rhythm - A Painting a Day for Thirty Days!

There's something about motherhood that just forces me to constantly evaluate my priorities. I think it's that sense that time is fleeting. Ren is growing so quickly and I see bits of change in him every day. It makes me reflect on every moment that we spend together, as well as how I use my time when we're apart, or even when he's napping. It has made me really want to focus on the things that I love. In our heart of hearts we all know that's what we should be doing, but at least for me, it takes some level of work just to allow myself the freedom to focus, as well as the discipline to say no to other things and let that guilt go.

If you follow me on social media (mostly instagram) you've probably noticed that I've been painting a lot more often lately. I'm feeling great about where I'm headed and a little fearful that I'll let this positive rhythm slip away while I worry about other things... you know, laundry and Dr. Who and such. Ha. 

So, that brings me to my next art project. I enjoy following several inspiring artists through blogs and instagram and I've seen many people find their way back to their creative selves in different ways when they've gotten sidetracked. This time I'm going to take inspiration from Emily Jeffords, whose work I adore. In the past she has done "painting-a-day" challenges to help reinvigorate her creative spirit. I think it's time for me to follow suit.


My only rule is that I need to complete one painting each day. I tend to work best with several things stewing at once so I'm not restricting myself, but I need to complete one work each day. This can be any size, subject, medium, and on whatever surface I'd like - canvas, notebook, panel, paper, etc. I'll post lots of progress pics on Facebook and Instagram and then try to recap every few days here. I thought about pushing this whole thing back a week because we're heading out of town for a wedding and this weekend is a holiday, but I thought these might present good challenges for me.

So, in the spirit of Dr. Who - Allons-y! Look for Day 1's painting tomorrow!

 

No comments: