Friday, March 14, 2014

Whew! There went February...

Hello! It's been a little bit since I've posted on here, but A LOT has been going on. We officially moved to our new house on Valentine's Day. So far, we honestly really love it. Our rental was loveable in its own right, but it was time for us to find something with a little more space (and a lot less knob-and-tube wiring) for our future. I'm happy to say my studio is all unpacked and functioning, so I'm squeezing in some painting time after work each day. Right now I'm on a mushroom kick, in between some other projects, like notebooks and more painted eggs. 



Our move-in weekend went a little haywire, but it happened just the same. Our parents (both) made the trek out from Illinois to help us unpack. We officially hired movers this time, for the first time ever, and let me tell you - I AM GLAD. It turns out that packrat/artist/hobby/literary types like me have a few belongings. Add that to a brewing husband with a love for digital media and you have quite a few boxes. And I'm not supposed to be lifting anything. So movers. Good choice. The haywire part came when my poor guy got a terrible case of food poisoning the night before the move. It kept him out of commission for most of the weekend - and was definitely proof to me that I hope never, ever, ever to face food poisoning. Happily our parents were here, and they're awesome and helped unpack and shuffle everything around. I am lucky in so many ways, but I can't tell you how much I appreciate our families.

Since the move-in, we've been starting to nest. This house has a really open floor plan and we've never had a place this spacious, so we've spent quite a bit of time just standing in doorways and thinking about it. The first project was to keep with the already open space between the living and dining rooms, and open up an entry area to the kitchen a little wider, which Brad and his dad accomplished last week. The paint still needs to go up, but it connects the kitchen to the dining room in a really good way. And adds more light!


Our next project is probably going to be the floor in the main living area, which is white carpet. It's well maintained, but honestly it will not survive us for very long, and we're looking at our options. For now, we just keep thinking. It's a big space, so a big commitment. And there's a nursery coming along. Right now it's a room with 20 paint samples taped to the wall, but we'll get there! Hope you're all enjoying mini previews of SPRING and wishing you the best! I'll show you more photos soon, but right now they'd all have ladders or tools or something in them like this...

No comments: