Sunday, August 7, 2011

House Pictures!

The time has come: House Pics Are Here! As most of you know, last May we moved to a rental house, which is pretty exciting for us since it's the first time we've lived completely free of shared walls. The house was built in 1908 and we're the first renters for this landlord since he obtained it from a foreclosure, so needless to say it needs a lot of sprucing! Right away we were met with some plumbing and electrical challenges (okay - seriously, who notices whether or not there's an outlet in the bathroom on a walk-through?), but now we are starting to have time to enjoy the features that drew us to the house: ample yard for Scout, a screened porch, heavy old doors with cool knobs, and a lot more living space than our last place. So - let the tour commence: 

Below: Front porch and the doorway.
It has been so stinkin' hot this summer that we haven't spent much time out there, but I can't wait to get a good rocking chair or porch swing for the fall. Seems like a good reading spot, don't you think? My plants are diggin' the sauna-like effect right now.
 

Living Room / Dining Room
This shot is from the doorway. The house is pretty open, which is nice. We still have quite a few curtains to purchase, but they all need 108", which aren't exactly cheap, so I'm pacing myself. :-)

So, I think I want to do that first wall that you face in an accent color, but I'm not sure what yet. Suggestions??


Dining Room
This is the other half of the dining room. You'll notice the lovingly swaddled jar of home-brew sitting in front of the air conditioning vent. Brad is currently creating his own brewing paradise in the basement, but for now he's monitoring it here. Ha.

 

You may have noticed that all of the walls and carpets are a khaki color. It's actually not a bad shade, but it just so happens that EVERY SINGLE wall and floor in our ENTIRE house is the same. They just basically came through and sprayed it all and laid matching carpet. Because of that, one of my first projects was to change the color of the kitchen to something more airy.


Kitchen BEFORE:

 

Kitchen NOW: 




When I first started to put the color up I worried that it would be too bright, but now that it's done I am super happy with it. Off of the kitchen we have a little breezeway to the backyard and a nice little pantry closet, which I love.


 

Bathroom: 
Scout has already claimed this as her space, so I didn't get a very good shot. :-) 
 

 Library! (Yay!!):
Well, okay, so it's not really a library yet... Currently it's just boxes of books, but we do have plans for shelves, which we'll hopefully install over the next few months. In the meantime I'm going to keep referring to it as "the library" because it has such a nice ring to it. I'll share pics once we've got things together. :-) 


Upstairs Studio: 
When you go up these twisty steps, which are quite narrow (so narrow, in fact, that our dresser didn't fit up them), there are 3 bedrooms. I'm not going to show our bedroom or the spare yet, but I do want to share the first room, which is my studio! It's so fun to have a big space like this.






Okay! That sums up the new place. :-) I'll share more in the future as we continue to make it our own.

No comments: